Remaining in the UK with a Family Visa Application

In order to stay in the UK for a period longer than six months with a family member, a family visa is required.

For Spouses or Partners

If you want to obtain a UK visa for parents or are planning to do so, you need to meet certain requirements. Firstly, both you and your partner must be over 18 years old. Additionally, your partner must fall into one of the following categories:

  • A citizen of the UK or Ireland, or have settled status there (such as indefinite leave to remain or settled status).
  • A citizen of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein, and have pre-settled status.
  • Hold a Turkish businessperson or worker visa.
  • Have protection status, such as being a refugee.

Moreover, it is important that both of you intend to permanently live together in the UK. Remember, complying with these requirements will help increase your chances of obtaining a UK visa for parents.

What You Need to Prove

You must show:

  • A legal marriage or civil partnership in the UK.
  • Living together for two years if unmarried, or planning to marry or form a civil partnership in the UK within six months if engaged.

You also need to prove you can financially support yourself and dependents.

Other Ways to Apply or Extend Your Stay

You can also apply if:

  • It would be unfair to deport your UK or Irish citizen or seven-year resident child.
  • Living outside the UK would be difficult for you and your spouse.
  • It would violate your human rights to not let you stay or make you leave the UK.

As an engaged person, you must prove:

  • Your previous marriages or relationships are over and you plan to marry or form a civil partnership in the UK within six months.
  • You can’t work or study while engaged.

After getting married or forming a civil partnership, you must apply to stay longer. If approved, you can work or study in the UK.

How to Prove Your Relationship

Include proof like:

  • Documents less than four years old showing your relationship (like living together, sharing bills, being married, or in a civil partnership).
  • Use documents like marriage certificates, joint leases, utility bills, shared bank statements, or a note from a doctor or dentist.

If you don’t have these, you can try other evidence, but it might be harder to get the visa.

Other proof can include:

  • Voter registration documents, shared education funding proof, or a single bill like vet or house repair expenses.
  • Less strong proof like greeting cards, tickets, receipts, photos, or messages can also help your application.

How Long You Can Stay

With this visa, you can stay up to 2 years and 9 months. If you’re applying as an engaged person, it’s up to 6 months.

Then, you’ll need to apply to extend your stay.

Renewing or Switching to This Visa

You can stay for another 2 years and 6 months with this visa or an extension.

How to Apply

Gather all necessary documents and information. Apply differently based on your location.

  • Outside the UK

Apply online if you’re outside the UK.

  • Inside the UK

UK residents may apply online.

If the fee is beyond your financial possibilities

You can ask for a waiver if:

  • You need housing but can’t afford it.
  • You have housing but can’t afford essentials like food or heating.
  • You have a very low income, and the fee affects your child’s well-being.
  • Apply online for a waiver, whether you’re inside or outside the UK.

Need Help with Your Application?

QC Immigration, based in London, specializes in reuniting families through visa services, including the Parent Visa. Catering to clients from various countries, their team of skilled immigration lawyers offers professional guidance on the necessary documentation required for the Parent Visa application.

Clients benefit from time-saving advice and an enhanced likelihood of visa approval. For personalized assistance or further inquiries, QC Immigration invites potential clients to contact their team.

Share this page with someone

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply