I love the idea of challenging myself to do some achievable and meaningful things before I hit the big four zero. I’ve got just over 3 years left at this point, so I’ve got a bit of time – but I know with the speed at which I manage to get things done, I’ll need every minute of it. These are personal goals that are things I’ve always wanted to do but never got around to, as well as things I’d like to re-experience. I tried to keep it fairly realistic, because I know that I don’t have the finances to head to the Galapagos Islands, or the health to jump out of a plane.
I read the Independent’s list of 40 things to experience before 40 and to be honest it seemed a wee bit… well, ridiculous. Compete in the Ironman Triathlon? Climb Mount Everest?! Run a 100 mile race? Okay I’m not superman here ya know.
This isn’t a life bucket list, just a challenge to myself to live life to the full in a realistic way and think about the things I want to experience (and stop procrastinating!). A kick up the butt to me, if you will. I was never blessed with good health and I haven’t managed to win the lottery yet, but I feel incredibly lucky to have made it this far and have amazing and supportive friends and family and I want to continue to enjoy every moment.
I’ll be updating this every year.
So here are the 40 things I hope to do before I’m 40, wish me luck! I hope some of these things resonate with you, and I’d love to see your list or your suggestions if you have any!
My 40 before 40 Personal Challenge
- Go to a music concert of some kind
- Go to the theatre
- Ride a rollercoaster
- Perfect a complicated song on the piano
- Go on a family bike ride
- Row a boat
- Watch national level show jumping (in person)
- Have a professional family photoshoot
- Read 100 books
- Go ice skating
- Bake and decorate a Birthday cake
- Eat vegetables that I’ve grown from seeds
- Host a party for 10+ people
- Have afternoon tea at a 5 star hotel
- Eat a meal in a Michelin starred restaurant
- Drink a fancy cocktail that I’ve never tried before
- Drink an expensive (£50+) bottle of wine and don’t worry about the price
- Go camping as a family
- Swim in the ocean
- Go on a family cruise
- Visit a new country
- Visit Stonehenge
- Get to the top of Snowdonia Mountain
- Celebrate New Year somewhere that isn’t home
- Visit the Isle of Wight
- Go back to the hotel I originally met my husband at in London
- Go on holiday with my mum – anywhere!
- Write a book
- Improve my Welsh speaking ability
- Make my own clothing
- Learn to drive
- Get into a healthy weight range
- Volunteer for a charity
- Complete Couch to 5k
- Stop biting my nails
- Make a Will
- Finish decorating the house
- Create a beautiful garden
- Go full Marie Kondo on the wardrobe and drawers
- Make a full time earning (minimum wage is fine!) from my writing work.
So do you have any things you’d like to do before your next big milestone? Whether it’s 30, 40, 50, 60 or beyond, I think it’s always good to keep setting ourselves personal challenges to make the most of the things we have.