Hi, I’m Welsh Mum of One (and Done)
You might have noticed that my blog name is Welsh Mum of One. When I started writing this blog William was 5 months old and I’d already made the decision to be one and done. I’m an only child with half brothers that I’ve never met. I knew they existed, but without going into all the drama of my childhood situation I’ll just say I never got to meet them. I used to dream about those siblings and what they were like – two older brothers sounded like a dream come true to a little girl. Naturally, when I was young if I imagined myself as an adult it was with a small host of children around me. But life doesn’t work out that way. I struggled with infertility problems for 8 years before conceiving my son. My husband and I had accepted that this wasn’t to be for us and then, we got pregnant! Pregnancy wasn’t easy for me mentally or physically and the birth was very traumatic. It was nothing like the fairy tale experience of motherhood I’d dreamed about as a child. After the birth I struggled mentally with post natal anxiety and trauma. I’ll be brutally honest – the early days weren’t full of joy. I was recovering from sepsis and an emergency c-section, reeling from almost dying and almost losing my son, and seeing danger around every corner. I barely left the house for months.
People want to talk about your familyNow I’ve managed to keep him alive for a full year and I’ve already dealt with questions from family, friends and complete strangers about when we’re adding the next bundle of joy to our family. Here are some things I’ve heard:
- Only children are lonely.
- Having a sibling would be such a gift.
- It’ll give him someone to play with.
- He’s so cute! How can you not want another one?
- It’s easier if you have two close together!
- You don’t want to wait too long at your age.
- You’ll have no problems adjusting to two, it’s only a little extra work.
- It’s not as expensive as it seems.
- You can re-use all your items from the first one.
- Don’t wait too long or you’ll regret it.
- It would be amazing to have one boy and one girl.
- You’ll have to change your blog name when you have another!