Feeding your children healthy foods can be difficult sometimes. Kids can be a little fussy; and often when they head off to school or nursery they will want to eat what everyone else is eating in the food hall.
Packing a healthy and filling lunch for your kids is an important job, and we want to share some tasty as well as satisfying meals you can pack into your child’s lunch box this summer. These foods are easy as well as nutritious and will keep your child full all day.
Chicken and avocado wraps
Whether your child is in Nursery, primary school, or secondary school; packing a healthy main meal is important. These wraps are so easy to make and your child will get all of the healthy protein and fats they need to fuel them throughout the day.
- 1 tortilla wrap
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- ½ avocado
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 tbsp Houmous
- 1 tbsp Barbecue sauce
- Chop your chicken breast into small chunks. Add the spices as well as yogurt and mix well. Leave to sit overnight or for an hour.
- Place the chicken pieces on a foil lined baking sheet and grill for 10 minutes until cooked through.
- Spread Houmous onto a tortilla wrap. Slice your avocado and place on top, add the spinach, and add the barbecue sauce.
- Place some of the chicken on the wrap. Wrap up and then cut into small slices. Pack these into your child’s lunchbox.
A simple fruit salad is much more appealing to a child than a piece of fruit – because it is easier for them to eat! Chop up some of these fruits and add them to a small Tupperware for your child at lunch.
- Lemon juice
- Peel and chop all of the fruit into small bit sized pieces.
- Place in a bowl together and drizzle a small amount of lemon juice over to stop the apples from turning brown.
- Store for a few days in the fridge and take out small portions when you need them.
Granola and yogurt
A sweet treat is always appreciated by your child – but it doesn’t mean it has to be unhealthy! Granola is so easy to make and store, and yogurt is full of protein for your child.
- 250g rolled oats
- 50g raisins
- 50g dried apricots, chopped
- 50g dried cranberries
- 100ml coconut oil
- 50ml honey, extra for serving
- 70g yogurt
- In a bowl, add your oats, dried fruits, coconut oil, and 50ml honey. Mix well.
- Add to a baking sheet and spread out thinly. Bake for 10 minutes at 200C.
- For your child’s lunch – add your yogurt to a small pot along with a drizzle of honey. Sprinkle on top some granola and seal. You can seal the rest of the granola and keep for a month.
Try these simple lunchbox foods this spring and summer to help your child stay healthy and full of energy!