So it’s Valentine’s Day but you’ve got kids. Baby sitters are an absolute bomb on special event days and since Valentine’s falls on a Wednesday, with work and school the next day, it all seems like such a hassle to go out on a date night. Sound familiar? I’ve already written about Valentine’s Day with Family and why I don’t personally think Valentine’s Day (or any date night) needs chocolate, cards or fancy gifts, but it is really nice to still do something with your partner after the kids have gone to bed. Valentine’s Day for me is just about expressing your love and one way of doing that is just spending some quality time together and this doesn’t need to be whilst you’re all dressed up in a fancy restaurant. PJ’s on the sofa qualify!
You can have the perfect Date Night at home!
Here are my ideas for how to enjoy a date night at home – whether on Valentine’s Day, a special occasion, or just any day of the week that you want to relax and enjoy your partner. You obviously don’t have to do all of them at once, mix and match and there’s loads of ideas here!
- Cook a meal together you wouldn’t usually cook such as lobster or fillet steak
- Get your favourite dessert
- Have candles on the table
- Picnic on the living room floor
- Make a cheese platter or a charcuterie board (or both!)
- Don’t fancy cooking? Nice Takeout – a lot of restaurants deliver via Deliveroo now!
- A good bottle of wine or DIY Cocktails
- Netflix with Popcorn and Chocolate
- Board Games
- Co-op video games
- Conversation starters – make a list of interesting questions to ask each other, and they can be a little bit risqué if you fancy!
- Go on a double date by inviting another couple over
- Watch the sunset from the garden
- Talk about your future and plans – discuss new places you want to go or things you want to try
- DIY photo shoot – get some props, set the phone to a timer and get snapping and creating those memories
- Put some music on and dance together
- Take a shower together (or a bubble bath, if you fit!)
- Candles and a Massage
- Foot rub
- A new pair of lingerie or a (quiet!) sex toy